Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Fall 2008, Part 2

Western Classic

For our third tournament of the semester, we once again chose to split up our team X/Y as we were committed to giving our rookies opportunities to play with and learn from the vets. This ended up being the right decision, as we saw throughout the weekend. We arrived Saturday without sufficient time to warm-up like we would have liked, but and it showed for my team (ISU X) in our first game against Truman State X (Note: Truman State only brought one team to this tournament, and as such they were by no means split-squad). Truman quickly went up 3-0 (at least) before we got our first score, skying and breaking us like nobody's business. This looked more like an A team playing a B team than two supposed split-squads. They took the game quickly 13-4, and we moved to our next field a little dejected and looking for something to lift us up and give us a shot at hanging with our next challenge, Illinois Y.

The game started off slow and sluggish from both sides as we traded points until half, 7-6. The Illinois Y squad was made up of primarily rookies with a couple vets helping out including Sean O'Brien's brother (whose name unfortunately escapes me at the moment) who played nearly every point, as did I. He showed us why Illinois is a contender for Nationals every year by putting up some great hucks and pulling down a few as well. After more point trading it came down to Universe point where there would be at least 2 turns by each team and where I came up with two layout (more like fall over) D's, showing both teams how bad I wanted the win after our embarrassing loss against TSU. Illinois would end up making the last turn as we put the upwind point in to take the game 13-12.

X's final game of pool play came against Knox College, a team who we've played many times and have a great relationship with. Knox was suffering from a short roster with only 2-3 subs which gave us the advantage in numbers. This combined with some tough defense and good decision-making (for the most part) led to a quick win for X, 13-8. Lots of credit to Knox for fighting hard the whole game, even when it must have seemed out of reach. Gotta love those guys. Also, the guy in the yellow short vs. Peteo was probably the most entertaining matchup I've seen since Eric vs. Peteo. We took 2nd in our pool.

ISU Y also took 2nd in their pool, but took a much different route. Instead of coming out sluggish in their first game they came out hard and won a nail-biter against North Park X on universe point. To be honest, I think it was that victory that spurred X on to win their second round game against Illinois Y. Good teamwork, guys. Anyway, the final game of the day turned out to be a crossover game pitting X vs. Y. Props to the captains for splitting up the teams evenly because the game went, like it always does, to universe point. Steve came down with the disc in a crowd after a 20 yard bladey huck from Hollywood. Not a great ending to the game, but I'm sure it gave those two a much needed ego boost. The victory for Y would put them in the winner's bracket and X in the loser's bracket with an opportunity to place no higher than 9th place.

I'm going to fast forward to the last game on Sunday, because writing is exhausting and I just want to get the good stuff. The placement game on Sunday placed Illinois X vs Illinois State X in the game for 9th place (winners of the loser's bracket) on field 5 and Illinois Y vs Illinois State Y in the game for 5th on field 3, which somehow ended up being next to each other. All 4 teams shared one sideline along with most of our women's team and somehow it never got crowded. I can't speak for Y, but I know that X was winded and tired from the weekend and I personally was not looking forward to playing an Illinois team since they always seem to have twice as many players as any other team. On this day it was doubled. Looking on from the opposite sideline it looked like a sea of orange with only a few white jerseys poking through. Illinois' historic cheer of 'I-L-L...I-N-I' was answered with an enthusiastic 'G-N-O...M-E-S' led by Sam and Vicius of team Y. You could cut the tension with a knife, and all 4 teams were in it to win it. I couldn't have asked for a better ending to this tournament

I'll be honest, I was not optimistic about this game. Although I knew we could win I was tired and my team was suffering from a few injuries leaving us with 3-4 subs to Illinois' 10-12. Only 2 points in there was a questionable call on the goal line and I let my emotion get the best of me when I got into an argument with the Illinois coach about the call. I let this argument get into my head and I wasn't much of an asset to my team for most of the first half as I handed over the captaining duties to Doug and only played when he called me in. Illinois took half 7-6. We played from behind the entire second half I think (I say I think because I deliberately didn't pay attention to the score in an attempt to get my head back in the game). To their credit, everyone on my team played their hearts out the second half and deserved to win this game. Again, not knowing the score, I heard the hard cap go off in the middle of a point which ended up being 10-10. Most of the point is a blur but I'll never forget the last throw. Afryl Lavigne made a hard cut to the right front cone of the endzone while I had the disc trapped on the line. Seeing that his cut was shut down I faked hard to the force side getting my mark to jump over as I pivoted to the break side and let the disc go hoping that Jeff would make the cut that I wanted him to. Sure enough, he did, curling around his man like Jerry Rice on a hitch route, and the play looked as if it had been laid out before the point. Illinois State beat Illinois on Universe point 11-10.

On the next field the story was a little different. They too heard the hard cap go off during their point, and they too scored the point, but theirs was to tie the game at 10-10. With the X vs X game being over all eyes were on this final point of the tournament. After a turn by each team Illinois Y would put it in, evening up the series at 1 each. I guess we'll have to play a tie breaker this spring...

Again, it's late, so I'll do Glory Days tomorrow

1 comment:

How many pointless commas did I use in the last post?

Are you a Space Panda?

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

New Cu1timate format

Should we go back to High Tide next year?

Who will get into the most trouble in GA or on the way?

Quickest dude:

Which tournament would you rather attend this spring?

How many beers have you had this weekend?

Which offense is the most effective in the college game?

How often do you read RSD?

Which tournament can't we miss this spring?

How would you like to see our last week of indoor practice time used?

Which is better, UPA or NCUA/Cultimate