Sunday, May 9, 2010

What being a Gnome means

[Contributed by Sam #6]

What does being a Gnome mean? What does it mean? According to urban dictionary a gnome is an Evil alliance race in World of Warcraft (best MMO ever) that are too hard to click and therefore... suck. I think we can all agree that is not what a Gnome is. Not even Effing GD close. Now we might agree on the exact definition, but now you have to hang in there while I get sentimental and explain what being a Gnome has meant to me.

Now I've been on sports teams before, baseball, and track, and other ultimate teams, and each of these teams have been great. Sports teams create camaraderie and brotherhood and lifelong friends. None of this is new. But the Gnomes I have come to look towards my teammates as family. There is no limit to what I would do for this family. There are several of our teammates that can attest to that. Through tough times, both on the field and off, being a Gnome has become part of me.

As some of you know, I have had an up and down couple of years since I've gone to college. The summer before college my brother unexpectedly passed away, giving my family and I an insurmountable challenge to overcome. I came to ISU for my sophomore year, and was accepted by a great group of people, who happened to be ultimate players, and Gnomes. In the three years since I have been able to count on this group for whatever I need, no matter the circumstances. I have been struggling to overcome depression and some of the negative effects of losing a family in my time here, and I can honestly say I would not be in the place that I am today without the family I have found at ISU. I can look back at the last year, and the last semester in particular, and say that it has been far better and happier than I could have asked for a year ago. For this Gnomes, I want to say thank you. You have helped me through challenging times without prompt. I can honestly say that college would have been much duller and far more difficult for me without the incredible friendships I have created within the Gnomes community.

While we might not be as storied or successful as many other ultimate teams, I firmly believe that the Gnomes are as close as any team in the country. While we are young, we are well on our ways to creating an ultimate program. Year in, our numbers will continue to grow, but none of us will stop being Gnomes. I would just like to say that I could not be more excited about this coming season. I look forward to making memories playing ultimate, and partying, running sprints till I puke, and shot-gunning beers off of even higher buildings. I look forward to finally making the jump and getting to regionals, and kicking some ass when we actually get there.

Thanks for a really awesome year, and I look forward to an even better one in 2010-11!

Gnomes for Life.

5 comments:

  1. If this was facebook I might *like* it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gnomes 4 life

    from padula

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you, Sam. After spending two years in a Fraternity in Champaign and a year and a half as a Gnome in Normal, I can hands down say the Gnomes are a much closer family than the people who call themselves "Brothers."

    I love the Gnomes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with cole. *like* but on a more sedimental note, i am so happy to be apart of this team and wish i didnt have to leave and come home. i love being apart of this team and i feel privledged to know all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. reading this is way better than doing work at work. good post sam

    -steve

    ReplyDelete

How many pointless commas did I use in the last post?

Are you a Space Panda?

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

New Cu1timate format

Should we go back to High Tide next year?

Who will get into the most trouble in GA or on the way?

Quickest dude:

Which tournament would you rather attend this spring?

How many beers have you had this weekend?

Which offense is the most effective in the college game?

How often do you read RSD?

Which tournament can't we miss this spring?

How would you like to see our last week of indoor practice time used?

Which is better, UPA or NCUA/Cultimate