Tuesday, December 1, 2009

How to be more like Crack

[Contributed by Kyle #27]

A lil something from Crack on basic Crackhood.


Hey guys this is Crack, and I’m sending this out to give you guys a starting block. As most if not all of you guys know I love to work out and love intensity, and that is critical to being competitive in any sport (Feel free to disagree…but you will short yourself).
To start out I’m getting into nutrition and supplements: Having good eating habits will make or eliminate progress, it is that simple. A lot of you younger guys live in the dorms, and have big meal plans…get your money’s worth!!! I’m not saying that every time you go in there that you need to eat like a fat kid (I do that too often), but you should go in there knowing 2 major food groups. The first is fruits/veggies. I probably sound like mom and dad, but it is so important to get them. The fruits are easy, and most of you probably get enough. The big on I’m looking at is Veggies. Most people don’t like them a lot, myself included, but having 2 salads a day is a really good start. This is where you are going to get a lot of the vitamins and minerals that you need…and that Ice berg lettuce doesn’t count. The other big reason to eat more of these is the hydration factor. Most fruits are 70-90% water. The other food group is Protein. It’s not that you should go overboard with it, but just a fact that you need to make sure you get enough. If you are doing nothing I would recommend you consume at least 75% of your weight in pounds, in grams of protein (you weigh 150lbs, you should eat 112.5g protein). That is the lower end of what you should consume. It is really easy to find protein charts online. On the high end 185% of your lbs, in grams of protein is all your Kidneys can safely handle. I usually try to get 150-200 grams a day.http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm
Now to supplements. These are an easy and fast way to usually get nutrients and other calories for your body, but they are only for the added purpose of getting enough. If your diet is crap, then you are boosting your body to a state of good crap….thus you still have crap. So first are the diet, and then your supplements can really help. Of all the supplements on the market I recommend having some kind of protein powder (they are a lot cheaper than the premixed shakes), and some kind of multivitamin. These are the basic two I would look at. Multivit’s are good, and most of the sports multivitamins have to take 2-3 for a full serving. I LIKE THAT! B/c you can then go through and spread out the goodness. And you can decide to not take the full amount. My multi is a take 3 a day, I take one with breakfast, and one at lunch, and then they will last longer not to mention that I don’t need 300% of some things. Whey proteins are the super common, and if your lactose in tolerant, that’s fine you shouldn’t have a problem. If by some chance you do, then get an iso-whey. But if you know that you have some other major weakness (Sam and I have bad knees) Read up a little bit, I am on glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, mix (Sam is taking something similar….I think). There are a lot of other supplements out there, and I have used a few of them, and a lot of different brands with really similar products. Feel free to ask me if you have questions. You body is your temple, have the best looking and functioning temple you can.

1 comment:

How many pointless commas did I use in the last post?

Are you a Space Panda?

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

New Cu1timate format

Should we go back to High Tide next year?

Who will get into the most trouble in GA or on the way?

Quickest dude:

Which tournament would you rather attend this spring?

How many beers have you had this weekend?

Which offense is the most effective in the college game?

How often do you read RSD?

Which tournament can't we miss this spring?

How would you like to see our last week of indoor practice time used?

Which is better, UPA or NCUA/Cultimate